Sunday, July 6, 2008

Letting Go of Heartbreak

I received some hard to take news last night that the love of my life has finally moved on to be with someone else. I wasn't sure what to do with myself then and am still not sure what to do with myself now. I have turned to animal medicine to help me and have found comfort with both Squirrel and Skunk.

Squirrel tells me to ready myself for change and to clear out the things which do not "serve me" anymore. My feelings for this man can no longer possibly serve me in any positive way and will only generate jealousy and resentment as the days, months, and years pass me by. I do not have to say goodbye to him permanently, but I should put the friendship that we do have on hold until it can fit better in my little squirrel nest without getting in the way.

I have received several messages from the animals and others to let go of everything that once was in order to make room for what will be. I have been unwilling to follow through on this and so things seem to be falling apart and taken away from me, one by one. This last one is by far the hardest to accept but accept it I must. My childhood, my education, my physical home, my job, my family, and my love, all of these things have passed and by no fault of my own or anyone else's. Squirrel is telling me to continue to make room and he will guide me in moving what no longer belongs.

Skunk also appeared for me today. She has a reputation with her spray which generates respect from nearly everyone. She walks with a great self-esteem and a checked ego, attracting like-creatures to her. Skunk is telling me to continue to stand proud and to acknowledge my accomplishments. She wants me to believe in myself, that I am a wonderful human being, and to protect that self-respect. With this in mind, I should be careful who I let come into my life now that I am in the process of accepting myself for who and what I truly am. I must be wary of those who would take my energy from me, use me, and then leave me.

That said, I believe that with Skunk and Squirrel medicine, I can get through this day and the next until my heart is clear of the things which don't belong and begins to love itself once more. I also find it a little entertaining that through all of this pain and loss, there is a certain bit of excitement. The way that my life has been slowly falling apart doesn't make me want to jump up and down, no... I thought I had it pretty good, I thought the people, things, and places in my life were more than amazing and there was nothing that I felt needed to be changed or let go of. But you know, it's quite possible that I was wrong. Maybe there's a better way for me to forgive my father, to get an education, to build up a new family, to find a job I'm happier with... and finally I might come into the arms of a great man the way that I came into the arms of this other man I'm mourning over--who coincidently I fell in love with after yet another such heartbreak. But whatever I do, I must remember Skunk's medicine and walk tall, loving myself.

No comments: