Monday, July 7, 2008

Quote from the Dalai Lama

The pain feels less sharp and biting today than it did yesterday and although this quote taken from the Dalai Lama could be applied to any situation, I'm only going to apply it to romantic love at this point.

"Yet true happiness comes from a sense of peace and contentment, which in turn must be achieved through the cultivation of altruism, of love and compassion, and elimination of ignorance, selfishness, and greed." - Dalai Lama

Altruism is a selfless concern for the welfare of others. I care for the man who broke my heart so deeply and I must be able to rise above my own selfishness and the greed that comes from the "he is mine and no one else has a right to be with him" frame of mind. Only once I let go of these negative emotions can I start practicing compassion and true love wherein my heartache will finally be put to rest. I told myself last night that I had surpassed the selfishness that had always been lurking within me and this seems to be a test to put it to. If I do not purge myself of these negative thoughts and emotions, I will start to harbor jealousy and anger within.

No comments: