Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Quote from a Ryokan

I've already reflected on a couple of heart/love-related quotes and now is no exception.

"Keep your heart clear and transparent and you will never be bound." - Ryokan


The first question I want answered is "bound" to what? Bound to another's heart? Bound as in being tied up so as to create suffering? I choose to believe it means the latter. In keeping your heart clear, this could mean clear of lies and negative emotions. Once your heart is clear of these things, it becomes transparent and you have nothing to hide from anyone and most of all, yourself. So in essence, keep your heart clear of negativity and you will always be free.

This is so true, isn't it? How often I can remember feeling as if I were being drug down into the Earth because of guilt or other various burdens I carried with me. Flying was just not a possibility and neither was happiness, as happiness goes hand-in-hand with freedom. How do you get rid of the burdens that weigh and tie you down? You forgive. Forgive yourself and forgive the people and life situations that you have been carrying around. All you have to do is stop for a moment and lift the burden off your back. Really, you don't even have to bury it... just keep walking the path after you have left your past on the roadside.

No comments: